Home Improvements: Are They Worth It?
Home improvements are not just about adding aesthetic appeal to your property; they are investments that can significantly increase the value and functionality of your home.
In this article, we’ll dive into the importance of exterior home improvement services, focusing on essential elements such as roofing, windows, doors, gutters, gutter covers, and new construction services.
There are many reasons why homeowners choose to invest in a home improvement project. To start, if a part of your home is starting to run down and require higher maintenance costs or repairs, then it might be time to look into a full replacement altogether.
Another reason is you’re about to sell your home and can get a higher price for it if you invest in brand new and thus enjoy a better return on investment (ROI). Lastly, if the roof, siding, gutter system, etc., is just getting old, it may be time for a replacement.
From roofing to siding, let’s talk about the value of home improvements. Read our guide below, or contact us today with questions!
The roof is more than just a protective cover for your home; it’s a crucial component that affects its overall value and integrity. A well-maintained roof not only enhances curb appeal but also plays a vital role in insulation and energy efficiency.
Investing in quality roofing materials and professional installation can lead to long-term savings in energy costs and prevent expensive repairs due to water damage or structural issues. More information about different ways a roof can get damaged and how to tell if you need a roof repair here.
Modern roofing solutions offer a variety of materials like asphalt shingles, metal/steel roofing, rubber roofing, and eco-friendly options, each providing unique benefits in durability, energy efficiency, and aesthetic appeal.
In Wisconsin, with the dramatic weather differences between winter, spring, summer, and fall, it’s helpful to know which roofing material is best for inclement weather. Take a look at the article linked here for more info!
Types of Roofing
- Most popular in North America
- Affordable and easy to install
- Variety of colors and styles
- Lifespan of 20-30 years
- Options include steel, aluminum, and copper
- Durable, fire-resistant, and energy-efficient
- Ideal for modern and country-style homes
- Long lifespan of 40-70 years
- Made from natural slate rock
- Extremely durable and long-lasting (75-200 years)
- Heavy and requires a strong structural support
- Premium, elegant appearance
Wood Shingles & Shakes:
- Shingles are machine-cut, shakes are hand-split (rougher look)
- Natural appearance, commonly made from cedar or redwood
- Requires regular maintenance
- Good insulation properties but less fire-resistant
- Clay or concrete tiles
- Spanish or Mediterranean style homes
- Long-lasting (50-100 years) but heavy
- Excellent in hot climates and for insulation
Another home improvement service to consider are windows. Windows are more than just openings in the wall; they are the eyes of your home, offering beautiful views, light, and ventilation. As such, it’s amazing how investing in a brand new set of windows can significantly improve the exterior appearance of your home.
Replacing old, drafty windows with energy-efficient models can significantly reduce heating and cooling costs. Modern windows come with features such as double or triple glazing, low-E coatings, and inert gas fillings, which enhance their energy efficiency.
Types of Windows
- Two sashes slide vertically
- Easy to clean and maintain
- Good for ventilation
- Hinged on one side, open outward
- Operated by a crank
- Excellent for ventilation and sealing
Bay and Bow Windows
- Protrude from the exterior wall
- Create extra space and wide views
- Bay has angular lines, bow has curved
- Large, stationary windows
- Provide unobstructed views
- Do not open, ideal for natural light
- Slide horizontally
- Good for spaces with limited exterior space
- Easy to use and maintain
Aesthetically, new windows can transform the look of your home, adding character and style. Whether you prefer classic wood frames, durable vinyl, or sleek aluminum, the right choice of windows can complement your home’s architecture and increase its market value.
Talk with our home improvement contractors about investing in a new set of windows for your home or business!
Doors are not only entry points but also key elements in home security and energy efficiency. Upgrading to newer, more robust doors on your home, garage, shed, or outdoor storage building, can 1.) enhance security, 2.) reduce energy loss, and 3.) improve aesthetic appeal.
Types of Doors
- Classic, versatile, and customizable
- Requires maintenance to prevent warping
- Can be expensive
- Low maintenance, energy-efficient
- Can mimic the look of wood
- Resistant to warping, rotting, and rusting
- Most secure and durable
- Energy-efficient with good insulation
- Prone to dents and scratches
- Include sliding patio doors, French doors
- Allow natural light, create a sense of openness
- Can be less energy-efficient unless double or triple glazed
- Durable, lightweight, and corrosion-resistant
- Often used for modern and contemporary styles
- Require less maintenance
Whether you are investing in a front door, patio door, or garage door installation, choosing the right style, material, and insulation properties can make a significant difference.
Talk with ACS Roofing today about a beautiful door installation project to enhance your property!
Siding is an essential component of your home’s exterior, serving a dual role in both aesthetics and protection. The right siding not only enhances the visual appeal of your home but also plays a significant part in its insulation and durability.
In today’s market, homeowners have a wide range of siding materials to choose from for their home improvement project, each offering unique benefits in terms of appearance, maintenance, and performance.
Types of Siding
Popular for its cost-effectiveness and low maintenance, vinyl siding is a versatile option available in various colors and styles. It’s resistant to weathering and does not require painting, making it an ideal choice for homeowners seeking a balance between affordability and aesthetics.
Fiber Cement Siding
Known for its resilience and premium look, fiber cement siding mimics the appearance of wood, stucco, or masonry with enhanced durability. It’s fire-resistant, termite-proof, and withstands harsh weather conditions, offering a long-lasting upgrade to your home’s exterior.
For those seeking a classic and timeless look, wood siding provides natural beauty and customization through different types of wood and finishes. While it requires more maintenance, its charm and ability to be easily repaired make it a favored choice for many.
Metal siding, commonly made from aluminum or steel, is durable, fire-resistant, and eco-friendly. It’s particularly suitable for modern architectural designs and is known for its longevity and minimal maintenance requirements.
Each quality siding material improves your home’s thermal efficiency. So you can keep your home warmer in winter and cooler in summer, which, in turn, helps to reduce energy costs. Some siding options come with integrated insulation, further enhancing this benefit.
Gutters & Gutter Covers
Gutters play a vital role in directing rainwater away from your home’s foundation, walls, and landscaping. Over time, gutters can become clogged with leaves and debris, leading to water damage and expensive repairs. Installing gutter covers can be a game-changer, significantly reducing maintenance and protecting your home from water-related issues.
- Custom-fitted to the house.
- Fewer leaks due to lack of seams.
- Requires professional installation.
- Most common, resemble crown molding.
- Hold more water than rounded gutters.
- Can be made from various materials.
- Rounded, tube-like shape.
- Traditional look, suitable for older homes.
- Less likely to clog but hold less water.
- Extremely durable and long-lasting.
- Develop a patina over time.
- High-end, aesthetically pleasing.
- Lightweight, rust-proof, and easy to install.
- Less durable, prone to cracking in extreme temperatures.
- Affordable option for budget-conscious homeowners.
For help on which type of gutter to choose for your home improvement service, please talk with our experienced contractors today! Each gutter type comes with its own pros and cons.
New Construction Services
For those looking to go beyond standard improvements, new construction services offer the opportunity to customize your home improvements.
Whether it’s adding a new wing, constructing a deck, or building a gazebo, these services allow you to tailor your home to your specific needs and lifestyle, adding both functional and aesthetic value.
A new construction can include your dream patio, expanded garage, or additional space to pursue hobbies. Talk with ACS Roofing and our contractors can make your custom project come to life!
Why Choose ACS Roofing for Home Improvement Services?
Not sure whether your project is worth the investment? When it comes to Appleton and Fox Valley home improvement services, look no further than our skilled home improvement contractors to help answer all your questions! We are certified GAF experts with more than two decades of industry experience.
Our company was founded in 2003, and since we first opened, we have developed and demonstrated extensive experience in roofing, siding, windows, doors, gutter systems, and more in Appleton, Neenah, Menasha, Kimberly, Kaukauna, Greenville, Oshkosh, and greater Fox Valley area.
Need a custom home improvement service? Our roofing contractors are willing to discuss all details of your project with you! We provide full roofing services for replacements and installations, plus custom garages, siding, windows, doors, gutter systems, and other services! Questions? Contact us today!
- Appleton Roofing Guide
- 7 Tips for Picking the Right Roofing Contractor
- How to Choose a New Roof for Your Home
- 11 Key Questions to Ask Your Roofing Contractor Before Hiring
- How Winter Affects Your Roof & Maintenance Tips to Know
- 5 Benefits of Asphalt Roofing
- Top 4 Roofing Tips for Wisconsin Weather
- Appleton Roofing Codes
- Roofing Inspection Checklist
- Common Roofing Problems & How to Prevent Them
- How to Know if You Have Roof Damage from Wind